Sunday, February 24, 2008

Pat Novak Says...

"Jocko was right about the neighborhood. When I left him, I doubled by my place and left the envelope. I put it inside another envelope, and stashed it behind some books, and then I headed out to look up John St. John. Oh, it must have been about midnight when I got there, and it was the kind of a neighborhood where a For Rent sign reads like a ransom note. I found the place, though. It was an old rooming house. A third floor apartment. I knocked at the door, and when she opened it, I knew it was time to wire home for money. A tall, blonde blister with lots of Fahrenheit. She stood there, leaning against the door, smiling, looking at me as if I had gold plated muscles. It gave you a weak feeling where your dinner ought to be. And her voice came right out of the oven."

- Pat Novak, for Hire, May 21, 1949 - "Envelope for John St. John"

No comments: