Thursday, January 31, 2008

Pat Novak Says...

"Well, I watched her as she turned and walk out of there. It was the kind of a walk that makes you flip the calendar and find out how far away Spring is. I looked around a while, but it didn't do any good, the place was full of doors, so whoever killed Fleet Lady got out easy, like a rumor at a Church Picnic. I closed the door and went down the line to call headquarters. As I stood there talking, I saw Sybil Thornton drive away. It was a long convertible with red asbestos seat covers. After I called headquarters, I went back and waited by the stable. About a half hour later, a police car pulled up, and when I saw who got out, I began to get unhappy, like a three-legged man at a ballet school. It was Hellman from Homicide and he had a squad with him."

-- from Pat Novak for Hire March 6, 1949 - "Fleet Lady"

No comments: