Saturday, April 12, 2008

All Wet

The ice is finally gone.

Thursday's rain seems to have taken care of the last of it. I'll probably be cutting back on these Lake Mendota photos soon, since the season's finally changed (today's snow flurries notwithstanding), and since I'm sure everyone's seen enough of this location.

For the time being, however, since I could see that the surface of the lake was finally in motion again, I went and hit the usual spots yesterday.




The usual points of comparison ...




Ducks really dig this one-legged thing. Wonder why.


Caught this guy coming in for a landing.


And I caught a good snap of a gull wheeling overhead.


The Hasler Limnology Lab always looks like a supervillain headquarters to me.


One of their boats heading out on the lake ...

... then heading back.

That's it for ice fishing for a little while, I suppose.

The sky left the surface of the lake looking like mercury at times.



Really a winter sky yesterday.



Again, I'm sure the 3 or 4 readers of the blog are getting tired of these sorts of of shots, but I dunno, there's something about the near-monochromatic palette I'm finding appealing right now. Fits my mood, or my frame of mind or something ...


And a tilt down to the lake path ...




The little look-out point that's my usual turn-around spot on the shorter walks.


A little play with framing for emphasis. The sky above ...

... and the lake below ...


Contemplation ...


And finally, some loons seem to have settled down on Lake Mendota for the moment.






Managed to capture some of their calls here:


Bonus picture: "Things were looking fay grim ..."


And that's it for now.

No comments: